Skip to main content

AB540 Undocumented Students

California Dream Act

If you are an undocumented student who meets the eligibility criteria to be considered an AB-540 student, then you may apply for financial aid assistance from the state by completing the California Dream Act Application at:


The application period is from January 1-March 2, 2013. 

Deferred Action Information


As an undocumented student you are eligible to pay the same tuition at any college or university as any legal resident or US citizen. Mrs. Adrian-Thiroux will gladly provide you with more information. Stop by the College Center today.
You may not apply for FAFSA, but you can apply for the California Dream Act. Do so by March 4th!


AB 540 represents a considerable cost savings to qualified undocumented students and their families. For example, in 2009-2010, total average annual in-state fees for an undergraduate full-time student at the University of California are $9,285. This compares to $32,002 for non-resident students. At the California State University, undergraduate resident students pay $4,026 per year versus $11,160 for non-resident students. At the California Community Colleges, the
annual resident fee is minimally $480, compared to $3,360 for non-residents. To qualify as an AB540 student, undocumented students must:

  • Have attended a California high school for 3 or more full academic years (between grades 9 through 12. They do not need to be consecutive years);
  • Have or will graduate from a California high school or have attained a G.E.D.; or received a passing mark on the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE);
  • Register or be currently enrolled at an accredited institution of public higher education in
  • File or plan to file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that he/she will apply for legal residency as soon as possible;
  • Not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, E, etc.)
  • An ineligible student is one who does not meet the AB 540 criteria. In most situations, not having met the three years attendance at a California high school is what prevents a student from qualifying for AB 540. Students that do not qualify for AB 540 can still attend a public California college or university as long as they meet the admissions criteria and are accepted by the college or university, but they must pay non-resident fees.